Public Art OmahaAboutGet InvolvedPublic ArtArtistsGalleries/MuseumsLinksContact
 

World War II Veterans Memorial

Photo Credits:  Larry Ferguson © 2011
Finished in dedicated 1948

by: Leo Daly
Medium: Bronze, Marble, Concrete
Owner: City of Omaha

Location

Mid-Town
Memorial Park, 6005 Underwood Ave. Just south of the Rose Gardens
View Google Map

Description

Colonnade, poured in place concrete sculpture with Bronze plates

Additional Information

The monument is a hollow shell with about 8-inch thick concrete walls. The names of the men and women from Omaha and Douglas County, who died while in service, are on bronze plates attached to the colonnades. In May 1948, the Memorial Park Association paid $112,450 for the site and presented it to the City of Omaha. It was the first time thousands of area residents contributed to a public improvement. No city, county, state or federal funds were used. President Harry S. Truman gave the dedication message on June 5, 1948. A bronze plaque commemorates that event.