Mediums: No specialty noted.
by Leo Daly
Location: Mid-Town; Memorial Park, 6005 Underwood Ave. Just south of the Rose Gardens
Owner: City of Omaha
Additional Information: The monument is a hollow shell with about 8-inch thick concrete walls. The names of the men and women from Omaha and Douglas County, who died while in service, are on bronze plates attached to the colonnades. In May 1948, the Memorial Park Association paid $112,450 for the site and presented it to the City of Omaha. It was the first time thousands of area residents contributed to a public improvement. No city, county, state or federal funds were used. President Harry S. Truman gave the dedication message on June 5, 1948. A bronze plaque commemorates that event.